Saturday, October 3, 2009

31 for 21: Day Three

After receiving the diagnosis of Down Syndrome for both of my twins, our spirits were high but a fear of the unknown was difficult. Not only did we have a new diagnosis to become familiar with, we also had the NICU to deal with. This was our first experience with a NICU baby. Having had three 7+ pound healthy babies prior to the twins, seeing a 2 and 3 pound babies with wires everywhere and machines helping them breath at first was quite a different experience.

My sister Heidi was the first person to provide me with encouragement. She was an RN for one and for two she had worked in a group home in the past and had experience with individuals with Down Syndrome. I honestly did not know anyone with Down Syndrome that I could compare what we were about to deal with to.

My sister provided me with a paper that had a poem on it that totally put a smile on my face and made me feel as though maybe, just maybe these children are a blessing from God, it was called The Creed of Babies with Down Syndrome.

My face may be different
But my feelings the same
I laugh and I cry
And I take pride in my gains
I was sent here among you
To teach you to love
As God in the heavens
Looks down from above
To Him I'm no different
His love knows no bounds
It's those here among you
In cities and towns
That judge me by standards
That man has imparted
But this family I've chosen
Will help me get started
For I'm one of the children
So special and few
That came here to learn
The same lessons as you
That love is acceptance
It must come from the heart
We all have the same purpose
Though not the same start
The Lord gave me life
To live and embrace
And I'll do it as you do
But at my own pace

No comments: