Saturday, October 31, 2009

31 for 21 Day 31.. 21 Things about Down Syndrome

Well as the 31 for 21 Challenge comes to an end I wanted to share 21 different things about life with Down Syndrome that pertain to my life.

1. Down Syndrome is NOT something to say your sorry about to new parents. Remember that at the beginning the child is just an infant that will require the same needs as any other child, if there are not other medical needs.
2. Down Syndrome is also called Trisomy 21 because the 21st chromosome has 3 cells.
3. Down Syndrome used to be considered a curse to many, and today I truly believe its a blessing.
4. Down Syndrome can be scary. Anything that is new and uncertain is scary.
5. People with Down Syndrome are not "always happy". My guys get frustrated, goofy, sad, adventurous, and misbehave just like my typical children do.
6. If you ask my children what they think about having twin brothers with Down Syndrome, they will tell you they think they are pretty cool. They don't see the disability, they just see their brothers.
7. Quote from my daughter Tristin "how are they different?"
8. Quote from my daughter Camille "they are hard workers and always have something to do"
9. Therapies do not have to be a bad thing. Not only do they benefit your child but you too.
10. I have become a Down Syndrome stalker. I love looking at new babies or children and interacting with adults with Down Syndrome. They are beautiful people.
11. Your life will be forever changed for the better, and that's probably not what you would have thought in the beginning.
12. If your pregnant with a child with Down Syndrome and considering an abortion, please remember there is a waiting list for infants with Down Syndrome in the United States. They are valued people and in demand.
13. Down Syndrome is pronounced just like that..NOT Down's Syndrome.
14. Here's a tip to PLEASE remember: People First Language please. People with Down syndrome are people 1st. Instead of “a Down syndrome child,” or "the Downs twins" please say “a child/individual with Down syndrome.” Down syndrome does not define my children..it's just a part of who they are as a whole.
15. Finding support is a major thing to understand your rights and regulations as a parent of a special needs child. Be sure to find support either locally or online.
16. Identical twins with Down Syndrome is VERY rare, and if your reading this blog and know of someone please put them in touch with me. pookeymom@msn.com
17. The Arc is a great organization to help support you. Each state has on and many many counties have one. Here is mine: The Arc of Jefferson County
18. People with Down Syndrome are not always classified as Mentally Retarded. Just like typical people, there are different degrees of learning ability.
19. Some days I wonder if its really that they have to many genes or we don't have enough. What would the world be like if we all loved and lived as people with Down Syndrome do?
20. Its encouraging to me to know that some people with Down Syndrome drive cars, hold great jobs, they get married and have families, they attend college, and much much more.
21. I thank God each and every day for choosing me to be the mommy of two amazing boys both with Down Syndrome. What did I do in my life to have deserved such a blessing :)

Thank you for following along this month as I tried to bring some awareness to my readers about Down Syndrome. If you ever have a question, a comment, or need more information about Down Syndrome, please feel free to contact me. I'm always up for good conversation about a topic so near and dear to my heart.

No comments: