Wednesday, April 8, 2009

JCARC Run/ Walk for Someone Special

Sunday April 5th was the 30th Annual Run/Walk for Someone Special in Sykesville, PA. This is an event I remember walking in when I was in elementary school way back. I honestly have to admit I didn't even know this still was going on until recently when I started taking an interest in my local ARC. I was very excited to attend this with my family and I promoted it as best I could to get other people to attend.

Now, I'm certainly not taking the credit for this, but this was a record year both for attendance and for money earned. This is fantastic!!! I am so encouraged to promote the ARC and the activities they provide to local people with disabilities. I honestly am a bit ashamed I did not know more about them before now. This will be my mission now (after being elected their Executive Director recently) to spread the word and to "SPARK the ARC" here in my area.

For those who know nothing of the Arc. There is an Arc of the United States, you can find their website here: http://www.thearc.org Then you can click on the tab that says find a chapter and your state and from there you can see if there are any local Arc branches near you. I am still learning what all they do and how they do it, but now I know there IS help available to those in need.

Arc used to be known as the Association for Retarded Citizens, but now to be politically correct they are known as Advocacy and Resources for Citizens with Intellectual Disabilities.

Especially if you have a child with Down Syndrome, Autism, or any other Intellectual Disability I ask you to find your local branch and become a member and seek their support and offer your time and knowledge to those who may not have the resources you do. I myself, am very excited to get involved with my local community and hopefully provide things for the kids to do. My first plan of action is to start a Parent Support Group which will begin on Tuesday May 5th. I'm anxious and nervous and hopeful and nervous...(did I mention nervous?) to see what may become of this effort of mine and many friends of mine in the area. I ask that you keep this in your thoughts and prayers and I will update after our first meeting.

No comments: