Sunday, October 9, 2011

31 for 21: Totally Dependant

I found this in a blog a few years back and I loved it so much that I copied it and saved it to my computer.  Being new to the blogging world I didn't think to keep the link to the blog so I could acknowledge who I read it from a few years later.. so for that I am sorry.. but it is TOTALLY worth sharing!!


* *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

A friend who has adopted a little boy with Down Syndrome shared an interesting thought recently. See what you think....he said something like this:

When we adopted our son, I suddenly realized no matter how hard my son works throughout his life, he will never have the ability to help me out with my life in any way. He will never be able to obtain a job that will hold alot of value in the world's eyes, and he will never be able to care for me in my old age.  
 Complete dependence.

And then I realized, in that same moment, that is how I am with God. No matter how hard I work in this life, I can never bring anything to him that will help Him out. I will never be able to hold a job or do anything grand enough to make a huge impact on Him.....He is already a perfect, complete God. I am only righteous because of what He has done for me.
Complete dependence.

As a father to this little guy, I can tell you that I love him with a different kind of love than I have ever loved in my life. I adore my son. It moves me to think: this is how God loves me. I can do absolutely nothing that will add to God....I have nothing to bring to the table..... and He knows it. Like my son, I come before Him daily completely disabled and in need. Yet, He loves me anyway in a crazy kind of way. How wonderful that my love for our son is a small constant reminder of God's perfect love for me.

"All our righteous acts are like filthy rags." Isaiah 64:6

"The Lord is good to those who depend upon Him; to those who search for Him."  Lamentations 3:25

No comments: