Sunday, October 10, 2010

31 for 21: People First Language

Using "People First Language": People with DS should always be referred to as people first. Instead of “a DS child,” it should be “a child with Down syndrome.” Also please avoid calling them a “Down’s child”. Would you ever say "that cancer lady"? Probably not. My twins are little boys first, the DS is a small part of them. They are little boys who happen to have Down Syndrome.  



This is a biggie to me and for many other mom's I know.  Its also something I truly never thought about until I had my boys.  I generally don't correct people when they say it, but in honor of National Down Syndrome Awareness month I thought I would type it up for people to consider.   My family and I don't even see the Down Syndrome every day, we see happy little mischievous almost five year old boys who are amazing us everyday at what they do and how much it takes for them to get there, yet never complaining only trying extra hard to please us.  They deserve to be looked at as "little boys".

No comments: