Saturday, May 8, 2010

Thyroid Issues all around :(

I had my long awaited endocrinologist appointment on Monday of this week.  I found a lump in my neck area after I had a terrible fall at the end of February.  The lump never went down, called the doctor, sent me of a sonogram of the area and set up an appointment with the endo for this week.

When I got there I found out that this large lump I have sticking out of the front of my neck is x2.  I have two enlarged nodules with one inside that is not visible to me.  The next step is to biopsy both nodules to see what we're working with.  My blood work came back all normal so he said that my thyroid is functioning normally.  My biopsy is scheduled for the 19th of May, please keep that in your prayers, its a little scary for me.

Then on Tuesday we headed off to Childrens in Pittsburgh for the boys to see their endocrinologist.  They have elevated thyroid levels that have been being monitored for about two years now.  I got the call yesterday from the doc regarding their blood work this time.  Not so good :(  He is giving them two more months before another blood draw, if the numbers do not move or go up Isaac will certainly begin thyroid therapy, which is taking a medication that will continue for the rest of his life.  He said he does not like to see numbers anywhere near a 10 and Issac is an 8.75.  Caleb was a 5 which is high normal and this time he jumped to a 6.  The doctor said he is on the fence about just starting them both because he believes the end result for both of them will be the medication.  So........  we'll see in July what's going to happen. 

Asking continued prayers for my boys and I while we go through this waiting period to see what's going to happen.  Did I ever mention I HATE waiting??  Ok Ok, have faith Stacy.. I know :)

Thanks for reading!!

2 comments:

Deanna said...

If it's any consolation...I have MAJOR thyroid and adrenal issues myself...it's taken 5 years to find docs that will help me and I've finally started my road to healing (hopefully)...it's a LONG journey, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. My Ragen was also diagnosed with Hoshimotos syndrome at 2 years old. She has every thyroid antibody there is...she's extreme. When they checked her blood for thyroid, they called us immediately for us to go to the emergency room...apparently if it goes untreated it can prevent the brain from developing and SHE DOESN'T NEED THAT! Anyway, she's been on meds for 1 1/2 years and will be for the rest of her life...kinda stinks, but she's doing well in that department. Hang in there...have faith...all will be well!!! My daughter also has the dual diagnosis...just FYI. Hugs to you!

Unknown said...

Stacy I am thinking about you and you are in my paryers. Travis has to take thyroid medicine everyday, let's hope the boys will rebalance themselves without medication.
Although if it is thyroid medicine may make you see a big difference in them, Travis didnt know he had a thyroid probelm and was SO tired all of the time, it helped a lot.
Praying for your biopsy keep the faith and keep us posted!
Love ya
Molly