Thursday, June 19, 2014

Strawberry Jam with Honey

Today was officially the kick off of my canning season for 2014.  This may not be exciting to you, but it sure is to me :)  Since this is Thursday I can classify today as Thankful Thursday due to the fact that its Thursday and I'm Thankful that I know how to preserve food and have all the supplies to do so.  I am thankful that my mom and grandma who taught me how to can when I was younger despite the unwilling attitude I used while learning.  

Today, I canned 4 quarts of fresh picked strawberries and made 10 pints of strawberry jam.




I have made strawberry jam for several years now, but I made it differently this year as I have been eating differently.  I am making a conscience effort to cut out as much sugar as I can on a daily basis and eating no processed food.  Thus far I have lost more than 20 pounds and I really do feel good.  No stomach bloating or pain, more energy and dropping pant sizes quicker than I could have imagined without exercise.  (Honestly, I'm saving exercise for when I plateau and need that bump to keep losing)

In the past I have made most of my jam with Splenda to cut down on the sugar content.  Its very tasty and better for you than using the 8 cups of sugar it calls for making a regular batch.  BUT this time I thought I would try no sugar and some raw honey.  So far it tastes wonderful.  I traditionally make the last pint as a sample jar and eat it on bread while its still warm.  Its a bit tangy and tart but it has the delicious flavor of a strawberry still there.  Often when you put the called for amount of sugar in the jams I feel like they are just so sweet you really lose that true fruit flavor.

Warm jam on bread.. YUM!


Here is the Recipe I used:

4 pounds of washed and hulled strawberries
3/4 c. Raw whipped Honey
1 c. unsweetened apple juice
1 1/2 packages of No Sugar Needed Pectin


It's a Keeper!!



No comments: