Tuesday, October 2, 2012

31 for 21 Blog Challenge 2012.. Let's do this!!



I have done this 31 for 21 Challenge for the past few years now, so I may as well keep it up another year.  If you are not familiar with that the 31 for 21 Challenge is, its a time for those of us raising children with Down Syndrome to commit to blogging each day in October and spreading awareness of what its like to have a beautiful person with Down Syndrome as part of your family.

I have asked myself time and time again (and yes, I do answer myself too) how could I possibly do it again this year as I am to busy and that I am not sure what I would blog about...and my answer has been; one way to raise awareness is to teach and part of teaching is replication.  SO if I should find myself blogging on something that I think I have already blogged about in the past, either I have loyal readers who will etch another mark in their brain on something that they have read about already OR I will engage new readers with information that they are looking for and hopefully gaining a few new friends in the process.

So I begin by introducing my journey to my new readers.  I married my high school sweetheart, Tom, 17 years ago.  At the time I didn't think I wanted any kids.  God had different plans in store for me as I now have five beautiful children.  Tristin gave me the title of mommy 15 years ago and Camille came four years later on September 11th, 2001.  Tristin and Camille BOTH share the 9/11 birthday.  Elijah came in July of '03 and blessed us with our first boy.  Tom and I thought well lets shoot the dice and try for two girls and two boys.  Again we were shown that we are not in control and we were instead blessed with TWO BOYS.

Caleb and Isaac.. these boys have thrown us for a loop on more than one occasion.  They have made us better people, they have made us slow down and smell the roses, they have taught us what real compassion is, what unconditional love is, what hard work is, what undeserved frustration is, they have made us better people just by being who they are.

Caleb and Isaac are identical twin boys who BOTH have PDD Autism, Down Syndrome, Sensory Integration Dysfunction, Apraxia and are non-verbal.  They are going to be the focus of my blogging this month and boy oh boy do I have some goodies to share!! Be sure to check back.....


No comments: