Sunday, January 24, 2010

Grandma's 80th Birthday Bash

Tom's grandma celebrated her 80th birthday earlier this month.  We had a little get together with pizza and cake and ice cream with the family.  This year was so important to celebrate with grandma as we lost grandpa to cancer last year and grandma is having such a hard time with being alone.  The holidays were tough on her, the weather is tough on her as she doesn't drive anymore and can't get out much, the idea of having to ask for help for all she does, grocery shopping, getting her hair done, church....etc.,  is hard on her.  I think that pride is one thing that is so hurt when your older and need to ask for help for things that were common in your daily living before.  I think the beauty of having a big family who all pulls together in time of need is that no one minds if grandma calls on them.  No one finds it a bother to stop by and check in on her and pay her a visit when they can.  I confess I don't get there as much as I'd like to, but she has someone stop by everyday.  Tom's dad and uncle stop for coffee every morning and each evening to see how her day was.  Another thing I LOVE about our family is that many of us live on an 80 acre farm, so grandma lives two houses up from us.  There are five Hanzely houses on our hill, so we are all so close by and able to walk to grandma's.

All my kids love going to grandmas for cookies and milk after school when the weather gets a little warmer.  I enjoy sitting and talking to her about her canning and cooking recipes.  It has been such a joy for me marrying into this family.  I don't have a grandma anymore and Tom's grandma has completely become my grandma in every sense of the word.

Love Ya Grandma Hanzely!!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
TRICK CANDLES:
Photobucket

Uncle Billy had a birthday this month too and we celebrated them both at the same time:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments: